Here it is...my finished Bell Sleeve Jacket
Pattern: Bell Sleeve Jacket pattern #15 from Vogue Knitting Holiday 2006
Yarn: 7 skeins Cascade 220 color #8234 Pistachio
Needles: size 6 straight
started 6/16/07, finished knitting 8/13/07, last end woven in 8/18/07
I knitted the small size body and the large size armholes and sleeves. (measurements went out the window at the blocking step as they usually do)
Modifications: I changed the lower edges of the fronts and back. The pattern called for it to be a reverse st st edging. I changed it to match the edging of the sleeves and collar. I did this by casting on 160 stitches for the back instead of 118, then I did (k4p4) for 4 rows then I did a (k4, p2tog, p2tog) row with an extra k2tog at each end to end up with 118sts. Then I purled one row (WS) before starting the [p1row, k1row]twice (RS). For the fronts, I casted on 91 stitches (instead of 66). I did 4 (k4p4) rows, then a (k4, p2tog, p2tog) row while keeping 5 sts at the front edges k3p2 (so I didn't p2tog on those). So the extra 3 k sts +2 p sts=5 stitches for the edge. Then I purled one WS row before starting the patterns [p1row, k1row] twice with 71 sts (pattern calls for 66, plus my extra 5 was 71). Then I didn't cast on the 5 extra sts called for at row 12(WS row), I just continued the rib as it was. I like this look much better and was surprised that it had been designed with a different edge.
Also, I didn't do the belt. Instead I added 6 buttons with crochet button loops attached to the edge.Errata: I found errors in the pattern that weren't listed on Vogue's web site. My work arounds for those errors were: for the left front row 63 instead of the k5, I did k1, k2tog, k2. Then on row 65 right after the cable cross it says k2tog, k1....I did a k3 instead. Then on row 89 for the small size it says you should have 37 sts when I had 36. Also, for the left front armhole shaping next row(RS) it says to do a RC, but this didn't end up being the correct row to cable on for me so I didn't and just kept to doing my cable crosses as had been established.
Two things that are listed at their site is that for the left front right after you cast on, the [p1row, k1row]twice, is missing. And at row 39 a k4(8,12) is missing.
I like how this one turned out. I like the fit. The narrow waist part with the cables seems to sit at the right spot so that the flared bottom looks good. I think the length is just right. I was worried that the sleeves would be to long, but now that it's finished I think they are just right. It is described as a very close fitting jacket but I made mine to be a bit looser. I think it still looks nice without being uncomfortably tight. I don't like tight. That's why I made the armholes larger. The collar doesn't cover as much of the sweater as I thought it would. It kind of folds on itself and stands up around the back of the neck so as not to really cover the sweater much. If anything it pulls sweater back so that the shoulder seams pull to the back a bit. But since it is 100% wool, I think that can easily be corrected with a bit of spot blocking and stretching of the collar around the back neck area now that it is assembled. I liked knitting this. It had just the right amount of cables and details to keep my interest. I like the leaf shaped bobbles and the bell sleeves are cute without being too big.